The Austin Motor Company of England built cars from 1905. In 1952 the Austin Motor Company merged with Morris Motors Limited to form BMC (British Motor Corporation), they sold Morris, Austin, Wolseley, Riley and MG cars. The Austin name was used up until 1987.
Starting in 1895, Herbert Austin built three cars in his free time. In 1905, he bought disused printing works, formed the Austin Motor Company and started building cars. In 1906, 31 cars were built, the Austin 25/30 and the Austin 15/20, the Austin 18/24 introduced in 1907.
By 1910, 7, 10, 15, 40 and 60 hp cars were available.
The 1908-15 Austin 15hp was built in a wide range of bodies, a two-seater ‘Harrogate’ (with single rear dicky seat), a two-seater ‘Ascot’, a four-seater ‘Westminster Landaulet’ or ‘Levee Single Landaulet] and a snub-nose ‘Town Carriage’ with an open driver and closed passenger layout.
Rolling chassis were also sent to Australia where bodies were designed and built there, this car was built in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne by the coachbuilders, the Waring Brothers.
Engine; 2539cc 4-cyl monobloc (from 1913, 2838cc 4 cyl T-head)