In this video we take a glimpse of the future with a tour of Melbourne’s new High Capacity Metro Train in mockup form. To be built by the Evolution Rail consortium (made up of Downer Rail and CRRC Changchun Railway Vehicles), the High Capacity Metro Train will be the first major procurement of suburban rollingstock in Melbourne since the introduction of the Siemens and X’trapolis trains in 2002-2003.
65 of these new trains have been ordered and are scheduled to enter service on the Cranbourne/Pakenham lines from mid 2019. These trains will later run through the Melbourne Metro Rail Tunnel and onto the Sunbury line from 2026. They will originally operate as 7 car trains but can be extended to 9 or 10 carriages in the future.
A mockup for these trains were created to allow the consortium and government to consult with stakeholders in assisting with the design of the new train. In February 2018 the mockup was displayed at Birrarung Marr for the public to inspect, where we film this video.
The new trains will feature:
– A continuous train with no intermediate cabs.
– A streamlined front end with hidden couplers to reduce incidents of train surfing.
– A higher number of priority seating and disabled spaces compared to existing trains.
– LED passengers displays throughout each carriages.
– Plenty of grab handles and rails for standing passengers.
– CCTV and emergency help points.
– Spaces for bikes and prams.
The exact design of the train is yet to be finalized.
Date: 9th February 2018
Music by Tobu: Colors